Saturday, November 22, 2014

Weekend Learning: Learning or Obsolescence?

This is an interesting post tonight, because I think most people actively following my blog would fall into the learning category of individuals, but the post from Matthew Morris on actively learning really does hit home for me as I have been using the blog to push myself to keep learning or discussing something every night so that I stretch myself beyond my comfort zone.  Last month I said how I would have had my younger self blog immediately after getting into this field, but another thing I would have told that younger self would have been: shoot for getting certified, but do not fall into the trap of thinking that is the only way you can learn about or become knowledgeable about Oracle technologies.  I feel like I have made plans over the past 3-5 years about getting certified because that was the only path available to me that I could actually map out where the random piecing together (or blogging) of information has actually given me a lot of knowledge that likely would not have been sussed out from certification.

Do I want to get certified some day?  Sure I do!  Am I okay not completing a certification in exchange for completing other tasks like new presentations, new conferences, or my random learning through the blog?  You bet I am!  I think I have finally come to terms with making my own path here through the Oracle technology jungle, with ANY progress being good because it means that I am not being paralyzed into inaction by "failing" to meet a path I set for myself.  That is why I think Matthew's article hit home so much, and why I think you might enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment