Thursday, January 17, 2013

v$sesstat - A new tool for the toolbox

While I think I have a handle on some of the techniques Tanel puts into the first of his three steps, I need to gain more understanding about what v$sesstat is and how I can use it the next time I get into a situation where I am out of ideas as to what's going wrong with our systems (and why I found it in the first place, but the problem went away before I could use this too extensively).  This pretty much sums it up:

Only looking into #1 is enough in 90% of problem cases. But for advanced troubleshooting of complex and exotic problems I regularly have to dive into the #2 – V$SESSTAT performance counters (That’s the reason why I wrote Snapper for example).

If you aren't following Tanel, you need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment