Thursday, January 24, 2013

RMAN hanging up

Recently I've had to verify or look into our RMAN process potentially hanging up, so I thought I'd share how I've been finding it in our system.

If you look in the table v$rman_backup_job_details, you can see details such as the status, start time, duration, device type, backup type, and even how large the backup job was; but it also shows the current running session(s) as well (the word backup made me initially think it was a history table).  If this doesn't show the information for some reason, you can also look in gv$session by the program column looking for %rman% to find the active sessions.  (Sometimes the module column will have rman as well, but it will change into something that doesn't have rman at certain points so I find the program column much more reliable for my system since it is rman@system and I assume that's the natural setup for all implementations!)

As you can see the common thread running through a lot of posts recently, we have access to the data behind some of our processes and now we need to come up with ways to monitoring this for when RMAN is thrashing against the DB and taking up critical resources that should be available instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment