Monday, December 30, 2013

The 10 days of Blogging past: Day 9

In the penultimate post for the 10 days of Blogging past is one of my first posts, yet one of the more influential in my blogging, "Concurrent:Active Request Limit (or how I finally learned to know what my system was saying)" from 8/16/12 with 126 views. 

While the title was certainly a mouthful, and a parody of Dr. Strangelove, more importantly it signaled the start of me looking deeper into "normal" things going on that I had been taking for granted.  Just because I've spent six or seven years seeing it happen didn't make it "normal" or "okay"!  What other type of articles came out from this train of thought?  Well, I would say that investigating RMAN when it was hanging up on us and also trying to figure out why Fixed Assets would error infrequently are top "normal" things that I started digging a bit deeper into.

So when I finally researched a bit why a request was pending in the Conflict Resolution Manager with an error message barking about 'Concurrent:Active Request Limit' being set, but I knew full well it couldn't be set, I was surprised to find out it actually WAS set.  Again, something I thought I knew, but the troubleshooting and research had to be done in order to make sure the set of facts I knew were in fact......facts.  Okay, maybe that's too many facts to get straight, but you get the picture.

On the blogging front, I think this has received so many hits because of how much text from the error message I put into the post which makes it very searchable if other people are trying to investigate their own issues with this.  The routine way this article gets hits makes me think this profile might be set as part of a patch or upgrade, or maybe legacy handed down from administrators way back in the day that might not make sense to the administrators of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment