Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Resources for starting out fresh

When you started dealing with Oracle applications, or SQL statements, what were your resources for learning?  I ask because the good folks at Red Gate Software run the All Things Oracle site, and in their monthly newsletter I saw highlighted the start of a series entitled "Oracle for Absolute Beginners".  As we have a person new to both Oracle applications and SQL, I decided to give the article a read and you know what?  I read Part 2 immediately next.  Then I fired off an e-mail to said new person, and suggested they read these posts this weekend.

Now you might be asking yourself, what does this mean for me.  Well, I think it's probably a good idea to reflect on where we've all come from and where we're going.  Just because we've learned all that we've absorbed after 1, 2, 5, 10 years it doesn't mean that we won't be asked to revisit the past and try to start over from the beginning to help another person learn the lessons we did years ago.  These posts, and I expect the next in the series will as well, help me do that.  I'm toying with the idea of making a page on my site collecting articles which can be categorized into Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert levels in order to help others jump in fresh or continue to better their skills by picking up new tips and tricks.

What do you think about this idea?  Do you have articles or sites which would fit this model?

No comments:

Post a Comment